Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Quick Jhatpat Khana

I was busy yesterday morning, had couple of meetings and conference calls
By the time all got over, it was 2 PM...poor my little "K", even though I was giving him nuts and bread in between, I knew that it was time to give him rice and he was longing for it
So here's what I made in a jiff..."K"loved it, guess he was hungry as well

Jeera Rice-1 cup
Onion -1 medium sized, slice it well
Cabbage-1 cup
Carrot- Grated 1/2 cup
Garlic 3 pods
Capsicum- 1/2 capsicum which is well chopped
Green chillies- 2 : make a slit
Pepper to taste
Garam Masala : 1/2 tsp: lightly roasted
Mixed herbs-a pinch
Flaxseeds powder-a pinch
Lemon juice
Salt to Taste
Water - 1+3/4 cup
Oil- 1 tsp

Garam Masala: Combination of Fennel seeds, Star Anise, Cinnamon, Cloves and Cardamoms
The proportion may vary depending on the taste
My proportions are 1/2 cup fennel,5 cinnamon sticks of 2 inches,3 Star Anise, 12 cloves and 6 cardamoms
I grind them in the mixie and before using I slightly dry roast them for 3 minutes

Fist take a glass bowl. Add 1 tsp of olive oil or oil of your choice. Add sliced onions and place it in the microwave in high for 1 minute. Add chopped ginger,garlic,green chillies and chopped capsicum onto the bowl and microwave in high for 50 secs. Add pinch of homemade garam masala, and microwave in high for 30 secs.Now add cabbage, carrot.salt, flaxseeds powder,mixed herbs and pepper to the mix and microwave in high for 2 mins. Add rice and water to the same bowl.Squeeze lemon juice, Mix it well and microwave in high for 21 mins.Add remaining garam masala and garnish with coriander.
Serve it with pappad and raita
Since I was running late. For raita, I took curd, added grated cucumber,salt and pepper

Thankfully "K" loved this simple dish



No comments: