Tuesday, April 17, 2012

All time successful Veggie Pulao

So couple of days back, I chatted with my favorite cousin, when I say favorite,it doesn't mean that we speak or are in touch with each other, every now and then...nah...thats sooo not us...we tend to speak once in 6/7 months, we are so used to being like this...but the best part of our friendship is that even if we have nothing to say to each other, we aren't bored of each other...atleast I am not...we are so different in our thoughts, still we manage to bear each other :), and we never forget each others b'day...that is something which baffles me!!!
One thing which is common is our struggle to live life the way we want!And now I have found out one more thing and thats our love towards cooking...well as he said, "thats in our genes"!
Again I am sure we will have load of differences in cooking, I am sure he will be trying out all exotic dishes, so unlike me :)
Anyways, now let me jot down my new recipe, which is dedicated to my talented cousin :

Its a simple recipe but whenever I make it, I get loads of praise(ahem, who doesn't love getting compliments!)...recently my grandpa and grandma had visited us and they completely loved it...its simple, easy and yummy!
It doesn't require ghee and suits health conscious group also

So here's my version of Mushroom-Veggie Pulao
The only thing I make sure is all veggies are fresh...I don't store veggies in my refrigerator, I love buying and making them on a daily basis.
Its my perception, but I genuinely feel that anything made with fresh veggies and fresh oil is good for health and absolutely yummy!

Fresh Mushroom Veggie Pulao

Cooking time: 25 mins
If you have the paste ready, then its a lot lesser!

Ingredients
1cup basmati rice...I have made this with normal rice as well, and even that turns out to be good
1 cup carrot grated
1 cup fresh beans
1 cup chopped fresh capsicum
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
Jeera/Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Garlic: 4-5
Ginger: 1 inch
2 green chillies
1 cup pudina/mint leaves
1 cup coriander leaves
1 cup finely chopped spring onion leaves and stems
(Never throw the stems!)
1 medium sized onion: sliced
Garam Masala-4 tsp
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Oil as required (I use olive oil for this recipe...one can also use Sunflower oil)

I make Garam Masala at home: Once in a week, usually on Sundays, I grind 3 tbsp of fennel seeds, 3 anises, 7 to 8 cloves, 2 to 3 sticks cinnamon and 8 to 9 cardamoms to powder, in a mixer. I store it in an airtight container and use it for the week.


Take 1 cup of rice in a bowl, add 1 drop of oil and required water to it. I usually add 2cup water and microwave rice in the oven for 12 mins, at 320 degrees centigrade. This makes the rice almost cooked
Since you have added oil, once the rice is cool, you will see that it doesn't stick


Step 1: Marinate mushroom with salt, pepper, 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste, 1 tsp of curd, 1tsp garam masala and 3 drops of lemon juice
Step 2 : Make a paste of ginger and garlic
Step 3: Make a paste of coriander, mint and green chillies with a little amount of water
Step 4:
Take the cooking vessel. Place it in the stove and switch on the gas. Add 2 tsp of olive oil, Once it heats, add cumin seeds. As they crackle, add sliced onion, capsicum and ginger-garlic paste. Fry the above till onion turns transparent. Now add chopped carrot and beans and cook them for five to seven minutes
Add spring onion stems, leaves and mushrooms. Mix them well until veggies are almost cooked
Add salt and pepper as required and  1tsp of Garam Masala.  Mix them well
Add the almost cooked rice and mix it well with all the veggies
Add coriander-mint-chilly paste and again mix them well.You willl get a nice aroma once you mix them
Add 1 cup of water, 2 drops of lemon juice and sprinkle 1tsp of garam masala
Close the vessel with a tight lid and keep the gas in minimum
Once the water has evaporated completely (it would take 15 mins), switch off the stove but let the rice remain closed in the vessel for atleast 1 hour

There you go...fresh mushrooms and veggie pulao is ready to be served with a nice simple raitha
For raitha, I grate cucumber and onions. Add curd with a dash of salt and pepper...
Hmm...how simple could that be :)

You can also replace mushrooms with eggs...you need to boil eggs, once boiled, remove the shell and slice it into two...the marination remains the same, but make sure that the eggs are marinated for a longer time, Roast them in oil and they are mixed at the end, while serving.

Go ahead and please try out and do let me know your feedback

P.S-You could add 2 drops of soya sauce after adding chilly-mint-coriander paste, it gives a tangy twist! :)














No comments: